A Note on Sleep

Sunday, August 16, 2009
I put a lot of stock on children's sleep. I even have a book only about kids and sleep. I feel that many behavior phases kids are in can be boiled down to sleep phases. I also feel that sleep feeds sleep in the same way that lack of sleep fuels sleeplessness.

Right now we get full nights of sleep in this house which makes everything simply run better. However, we still have our moments when maybe there has been a couple later nights or super early mornings with no make-up naps and there is just a feeling of needing to get back on track.

Cole is one who is a great sleeper, but requires a lot of sleep to be running on "full." This can lead to problems in the event of, well, an event. Right now he sleeps 1 1/2 hours in the morning and then AT LEAST another 2 hours in the afternoon (and lately it has been 3). Today we had an afternoon event so his afternoon nap was a 10 minute cat nap in the car. While he did very well, that apparently threw off bedtime because he had to cry himself to sleep (when normally he happily leaps into his crib and we don't hear a peep).

The other two were seemingly tired, too. I know this because they crawled up the stairs to bed as if taking there last few steps up the top of Mt. Everest. After tucking them in, though, Paige was spotted reading a whole other book and Will was out with many requests including a gauze pad for a recent abrasion. See? Overtired feeding sleeplessness. Now, will they then sleep later in the morning once they do got to sleep? Logically, yes, but no. It will be just as early if not earlier - at least that's my theory. I'll report back.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

from my experience this is totally accurate.

Lavonne said...

I agree with you too. I am already observing those behaviors in Lauren. Late bedtime does not necessarily mean late rising time and, usually, just the opposite. Which then sets up a 2-day catching up routine. Very interesting.

Post a Comment