Family Portraits

Sunday, September 28, 2014
My name is Karen.  I've been a parent for almost 12 years and I had my first professional family photo taken today.  Thank you for not judging me.

The truth is that I don't like getting my own picture taken, much less preparing 3 kids and a husband to simultaneously look photo-ready.  But, it was finally time.

Last weekend we had been invited to a very unique event at the Shedd Aquarium downtown with dinner among the sea life.  You'll see from this photo we had taken why I dread family photos.  There's the eyes blinking at different times, hands where they shouldn't be, athletic socks worn with brown shoes without my knowing, etc.  For some reason it's just stressful.  But here's what we got out of that:

Not exactly frame-able, but because it marked the event, it's a keeper.  Little fun fact: this was actually taken in front of a green screen, though we did eat dinner by this reef. 
I'm not exactly into staged "situations" when it comes to family pictures.  I'm pretty traditional, but wanted a natural backdrop.  So we met at a park by the river and the photographer recommended (because of lighting and the fact that the kids were old enough to handle it) going down by the creek for some great nature shots.  We go down there all the time so this was great!  Only on the way down (picture rocks, with a creek winding by) Cole wipes out and cuts his hand pretty good.  Because of course that's what happens when you're looking for 20-30 minutes of great smiles and personality captured on film.  He was trying hard not to cry, but there was blood.  Luckily, I had a band aid in my purse and I slapped it on and said, "All better!"  Only it stung and he was kind of ticked off about the whole thing.

This is when I started sweating, which is always pretty in pictures.  It's also when Rich and I got so desperate for his cooperation for this professional who charges by the half hour that we both (unbeknownst to each other) made somewhat impractical promises to the kid.  I, with my wide eyes and excited tone, offered a dish of his ice cream BEFORE dinner.  Rich offered a new toy.  (Let's admit.  Mine's a little more reasonable).

We managed to reel him in enough for what I think will be some great shots...on railroad tracks, down by the rocks, and wading in the river.  Hopefully we're all smiling at the same time in a couple.  And that you can't see the band aid.

0 comments:

Post a Comment