Holiday Weekend Report

Monday, July 5, 2010
It is silly of me to think I can wrap it up shortly, but because I'm tired, I'll give it a shot!
  1. Had awesome 60th birthday cookout for my dad!  Happy birthday, dad!
  2. In a parade in neighboring town Saturday morning representing a local farm that my parents volunteer for within the conservation society.
  3. Went to 4th parade in family's town an hour away followed by cookout.
  4. Watched fireworks at my sister's house just a school field away from their launch.
  5. Reluctantly got started on bathroom remodel project.  (More below)
  6. Had fun dinner out this evening!
So, when we bought this house I said that I could live with the wallpaper in the downstairs bathroom for a while.  I'm sure I didn't mean 5.5 years.  But that is what it has taken to finally get around to it.  I'm about 3/4 of the way done stripping paper now.  Which reminds me that whoever invented glueing paper onto drywall should be sentenced to lifetime of stripping it off.  Seriously.

But the fun came when Paige decided to help.  Just the two of us in the bathroom chatting and working away.  It was so cute.  She actually said, "we should do this more often."  I disagree - about the wallpaper stripping part.  Then Will decided to try his hand at the task and after about 30 seconds he meant business.  He had developed his own secrets and methods to getting the tough parts.  It was hysterical. 

And speaking of the kids - I truly wish that I had a voice recorder planted in them at all times.  Some one-liners that came out of them this weekend truly had me doubled over.  When we were at dinner tonight, beside us was a couple with a small baby and another child about Cole's age.  They had been taking turns with each busily keeping them occupied.  My family got up and left as I settled the bill.  I took my last sip of wine and the mother leaned over and said she thought I deserved 5 glasses of wine - referring to the fact that I have 3 kids out to dinner.  I told her it's different now - and much easier.  And this is so true!  Outings, dinners and events have become so much more enjoyable with the kids just this much older.  They are just plain fun to be around.

And speaking of kids' one-liners.  I do not allow Spongebob-watching.  I just don't like it.  The little girl at the restaurant had a Spongebob sippy cup.  Paige said, "Now that's just disturbing." She also told Rich and I that she was "pis*ed out" about something this weekend.  Of course, I first corrected her and told her it was "pis*ed off."  THEN, we told her it was a bad word. :)

Pictures of the weekend coming soon!

5 comments:

suzanne said...

taking wallpaper off is just a horrible, horrible thing to have to do. horrible.

Alli said...

I agree on the wallpaper. My mom has this steam thing that you run over it and it just peels right off!

I had a blast at your dads party! Great to see you all.

Bethie said...

My favorite part of this blog is Paige's one-liner! Now THAT cracked me up!!

Looking forward to seeing all of you August 6th!!!

Anonymous said...

yay for no spongebob! i don't like him, either. and my kids don't care; they know they aren't missing anything.

Loved this whole post except the wallpaper stripping! You're right; going to events/dinner/etc is getting easier and more fun :)

Cousin Kate :) said...

It is so funny that Paige didn't konw about that "bad word" because i did the same thing when I was about her age...I guess that word is not as obvious as the others!

Post a Comment