On Maturity

Tuesday, March 30, 2010
Part of this was seen on vacation, but it continues here at home. I am quite taken by signs of a new level of maturity by Paige. On vacation, she was exceedingly understanding and quite able to "take one for the team" if it was necessary. (Minus the occasion that she offered to let Will sleep on the top bunk on one of her nights...then regretted it. I mean, who could have foreseen that?)

She acted like a seasoned traveler on the plane - with her MP3 player and magazine to occupy her. She offered the boys her things if they couldn't find theirs, and she would strike up a mature conversation with acquaintances we would meet.

Then this morning was a perfect example. In the wee morning hours (4am) she came running in our room after a nightmare. This happens occasionally. Usually I will lie on her floor until she falls asleep again and then go back to bed myself. Last night I tried to just walk her back to her room. She was back in mine in under 3 minutes, asking if I would stay a while. I did this. In the morning, her first words to me were, "Mom? I just wanted to say thank you for staying with me last night." It was so genuine and sweet - a thank you more heartfelt than many adults could offer up.

0 comments:

Post a Comment